Machine Learning Geoscientist
MinePortal from DataCloud is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent platform that powers geotechnical knowhow of the rock in the mining industry for operational intelligence. Our mission is to push the envelope in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Geophysical IoT sensors, Machine Learning (ML), Data Management, Signal Processing, and Grade Engineering, in order to provide the best-possible blast outcomes for our customers. We are looking for a Geology, Statistics, and ML Specialist to help build industry-leading modeling technologies that the world’s largest mines will adopt.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Reporting to the VP Software, the Machine Learning Geoscientist role will include following broad responsibilities and any other assigned work from time to time
- Apply domain expertise in the development and implementation of machine learning models within the hard rock and coal mining industry
- Teach internal and client teams how to integrate machine learning software into existing workflows to optimize blast design, blasthole spacing, and other engineering applications
- Study and transform data science prototypes for the geoscience specific data streams
- Feature extraction and identification over large data sets to feed automated algorithm development
- Apply knowledge in geology, geosciences, applied mathematics, and quantitative analysis to sensor solutions for challenges facing our sponsors.
- Explore promising research and maintain/gain the technical edge required for projects. Share and develop new approaches and methods.
- Design machine learning systems that can automatically recognize features, extract features, and create volume models out int and sparse data
- Research and implement appropriate ML algorithms and tools for mining domain specific applications
- Select appropriate datasets and data representation methods
- Run machine learning tests and experiments
- Perform statistical analysis and fine-tuning using test results
- Train and retrain systems when necessary
- Extend existing ML libraries and frameworks
- Keep abreast of developments in the field
- Contribute to analysis of algorithmic computational complexity and memory requirements.
- Work with Hardware Engineers to specify and optimize sensor and IoT device design and configuration for multiple sensing use cases.
- Interface closely with Application and UX Engineers to develop compelling analytical use cases to utilize ML outputs and insights.
Work Hours & Location
- Full time, Flexible working hours, 15 days/year vacation
- Work from home office and DataCloud’s office in Vancouver
- Some travel to Seattle, Palo Alto, and Client offices world wide
- Master’s degree in Geosciences, statistics, mathematics, applied physics, or a related field.
- Comprehensive expert level knowledge of programming and experience in C, C++, Python, R, Golang, or similar language used in geo-stat, ML, and computer vision sciences.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience in working in distributed teams in the research, development, and implementation of machine learning, spatial modeling, and geo-stat algorithms.
- Flexible “can-do” attitude
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent balance of people, organizational, technical, and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent major projects
- Fluid ability to traverse both vertically and horizontally in any organization
- Excellent trade-off management in achieving tactical and strategic objectives
- Ability to successfully influence others to best outcomes without having authority
- Proven leadership skills in highly volatile cross-functional and cross-organizational environments
DataCloud is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, military status, or national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable local law.